Friday, June 22, 2012

Bringing Baby Home

Wow it’s been 2 weeks today since we have been home. It seems like much longer and no time at all. Dean is back to work today and I am alone with baby (wish us luck!).

Overall caring for a newborn is not what I excepted. We have had some bumps along the way with feeding mostly. We gave her one ounce of formula our first night home… and she slept like a log afterwards. We had a public health nurse in to help with breastfeeding, but in the end for whatever reasons Abby wasn’t feeding well and I started pumping and we are giving her breast milk from a bottle. While this is more time consuming on me, needing to pump every 2 hours and cleaning bottles ect. I truly like the fact that I know she is getting food. When the health nurse was in she was down past 10% weight loss which really scared us. At our appointment we had Tuesday she gained great and is now in the 50 percentile, while I don’t really care much about that it is good to know what we are doing is helping her.

Abby is pretty much a low key baby, sleeps and “plays” in her pack and play during the day, with lots of cuddles from us and sleeps in her crib at night. She usually sleeps for 3 – 4 hours during the night and up for feedings. Dean usually feeds her while I pump again so we have fresh milk for the next feed. She hates diaper changes, which I think most newborns probably do and has peed on us a few times already.

Dean has been wonderful with her and taking care of me and the house. He cooked everyday he was home, lunch and supper, and had breakfast ready most mornings when I came down stairs. He is much more domestic than me, doing laundry and cleaning… it’s to the point where we are debating if we can afford for him to stay home once my leave is up. Only time will tell for now.

Other than that I am pretty impressed. Of course we have had our emotional moments. I am paying close attention to the way I feel as I need to make sure I don’t slip into depression. I have missed my mom alot the past few weeks and with all the hormones running high it would be pretty easy. But that about wraps up my updates on us, guess I will be going back to regular posts when I feel like it. Until then hope everyone is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment